Telit Cinterion IoT Developer Community
Integrate Intel EDISON board with ELS61-E
Tutorial, September 10, 2016 - 8:26am, 4384 views
Recently I was asked to integrate ELS61-E with Intel EDISON with the Arduino kit board. Because the Arduino kit has an USB Host port, so I decided to plug-in Starter Kit B80 with ELS61-E EVK to Intel EDISON, via that USB Host port and tweak the embedded Linux residing inside the EDISON module. Here is a record of how I tweaked it, the steps are easy for average Linux user.
1. I downloaded and uses iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160606.zip as starting point, this is the current FW for EDISON board; flash it to the EDISON board.
2. The Linux kernel on EDISON board already included Linux CDC-ACM driver inside, so I make use of it, and configure the Arduino kit for EDISON board to provide USB Host interface for ELS61-E EVK.
3. I enabled Wi-Fi on EDISON board and added 3 new package repositories to the EDISON opkg manager
4. I install these packages on EDISON board to setup PPP dial-up capability
5. Setup ppp dial-up script on EDISON board
- edit /etc/ppp/peers/cht-gprs
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -t15 -f /etc/ppp/cht-gprs.chat"
- edit /etc/ppp/cht-gprs.cht
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE'
ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
6. edit /etc/resolv.conf on EDISON board
7. run `killall pppd ; pppd call cht-gprs` on EDISON board
8. using `journalctl -xf -n1000 | grep -e "\(pppd\|chat\)"` on EDISON board to monitor dial-up status, if success, press CTRL-C
At this point, the cellular network on EDISON board is up and running.
Thanks for the great tutorial. I purchased the Cinterrion Concept Board based on EHS6 ME to provide GPRS (3G) connection to Raspberry PI 3 via USB connection. Then I will connected another PLC to Raspberry PI with ethernet cable so that PLC will connect to the internet via Raspberry PI 3 and the Concept board. So far no luck.
I followed your tutorial. But I couldn't connect to it.
Could you please help? I would really appreciate that!!!
Thank and Regards,e